The Tom Hurndall Student Protection Project is LPHR’s initiative to tackle the systematic targeting of Palestinian university students for arbitrary arrest and prolonged military detention by Israeli authorities in violation of basic human rights. Cases have surged since 2019. LPHR will submit complaints to relevant UN Working Groups and Special Rapporteurs, and engage Governments and Parliamentarians.
LPHR emphasises there is a continuum in the systematic targeting of children for military detention (see our Respect Children’s Rights Project) and the targeting of university students for military detention. This punitive practice that foreseeably and immeasurably harms young Palestinian lives needs to end immediately.
This crucial project is named in honour and memory of Tom Hurndall,, a courageous, British photojournalism student passionate about truth and justice. Tom was shot in the head as he carried a Palestinian child out of the range of an Israeli army sniper in the town of Rafah in the occupied Gaza Strip. Tom died nine months later in hospital in London, on 13 January 2004, aged only 22-years-old. In his journals,‘The Only House Left Standing: The Middle East Journals of Tom Hurndall’, Tom wrote discerningly and objectively about the injustices he had witnessed in Gaza and that had a profound effect on him. This project is an extension of Tom’s profound legacy.
The Tom Hurndall Student Protection Project has the full support of Tom’s mother and LPHR Trustee, Jocelyn Hurndall.
News, Blogs, Events & Urgent Actions
- LPHR, Amnesty International UK, War on Want request UK intervention in deportation order against human rights defender, Omar ShakirUrgent Action15th May 2018
- LPHR, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International submit urgent letter to the UK government concerning escalating threats against Al Mezan and Al HaqNews item19th August 2016
- Concerning death threats against human rights defenders pursuing Palestinian access to justice and accountability at the International Criminal CourtUrgent Action19th August 2016
- LPHR, PHROC and the National Lawyers Guild submit complaint to the United Nations concerning the travel ban and other adverse repercussions against the Palestinian human rights defender, Mr. Omar BarghoutiNews item23rd June 2016
- Prisoner Rights Issues in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territory (film screening followed by panel discussion)Event10th May 2016
- Al-Haq and its staff members targeted by co-ordinated attacks and death threatsBlog7th March 2016
- LPHR and Addameer submit complaint to the United Nations concerning the continuous 17 month administrative detention of the Palestinian human rights defender, Mr. Eteraf Al-RimawiNews item15th February 2016
- LPHR, Addameer and National Lawyers Guild statement on the appalling sentencing of leading Palestinian human rights defender, Ms Khalida JarrarNews item4th January 2016
- LPHR and WCLAC submit complaint to the United Nations concerning the frequent targeting of the Palestinian human rights defender, Mrs Manal Tamimi, by Israeli military authoritiesNews item29th July 2015
- LPHR, Addameer and the National Lawyers Guild submit complaint to the United Nations concerning the Israeli military arrest, detention and indictment of the Palestinian human rights defender, Ms Khalida JarrarNews item16th June 2015
- Update on the cases of three Palestinian human rights defenders: Mr Murad Shteiwi, Ms Shireen Issawi and Ms Bushra al-TaweelNews item21st May 2015
- LPHR and Addameer publish interview with the convicted and sentenced Palestinian human rights defender, Murad ShteiwiNews item11th December 2014
- LPHR and Addameer statement on the appalling conviction and sentence of the Palestinian human rights defender, Murad Shteiwi, under Israel’s repressive protest lawNews item11th December 2014
- LPHR and Addameer submit complaints to the United Nations concerning the Israeli detention of two female Palestinian human rights defenders: Ms Shireen Issawi and Ms Bushra al-TaweelNews item16th September 2014
- Update on the continued military detention of Palestinian human rights defender, Murad Shtaiwi, under Israel’s repressive protest lawNews item26th August 2014
- LPHR and Addameer submit complaint to the United Nations concerning the military detention of Palestinian human rights defender, Murad Shtaiwi, under Israel’s repressive protest lawNews item30th July 2014
- Concerning the arrest and detention of Palestinian human rights defender, Mr Murad ShtaiwiUrgent Action28th May 2014