Lawyers for Palestinian Human Rights (LPHR) is a legal charity in the UK (charity number 1175498) that works on key projects to protect and promote Palestinian human rights. Our principal goal is to provide specialist legal and human rights expertise to contribute towards achieving the transformation of the critical human rights situation impacting Palestinians.
LPHR seeks to achieve this main objective through the following aspects of our work:
- expert legal work, advice and support;
- utilising accountability and human rights mechanisms of domestic and international institutions;
- monitoring, research and urgent actions on human rights violations;
- policy engagement from a legal and human rights perspective with the UK government, parliamentarians, United Nations Special Rapporteurs and United Nations officials; and
- legal and human rights analysis, advocacy and education.
Where possible we coordinate our work with human rights organisations in the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel. LPHR is a resource member of the EuroMed Rights Working Group on Palestine, Israel and Palestinians – whose full members are drawn from Palestinian and Israeli human rights organisations.
LPHR Director – Tareq Shrourou
Tareq leads on LPHR’s legal work, policy positioning, advocacy, outreach and education activities. He supervises and works with LPHR’s Executive Committee (see below) who provide outstanding voluntary support. He devises and implements LPHR’s strategy with the oversight of its board of trustees – including leading human rights lawyers Sir Geoffrey Bindman QC and Tessa Gregory – and has responsibility for LPHR’s profile and impact.
Before becoming LPHR’s first Director in 2013, Tareq worked as a human rights solicitor representing asylum claimants, unaccompanied children and survivors of human trafficking. In this position he was specifically referred serious and complex cases from the UK human rights organisations, Freedom from Torture and Liberty. Before this, he had co-supervised the public legal advice service of Liberty, after completing his legal training at Christian Khan Solicitors (established by prominent human rights lawyer, Louise Christian, and the former lawyer and current Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan).
Tareq holds an LLB law degree from SOAS, University of London, an LLM in Public International Law from King’s College London, University of London, and completed the LPC with a distinction.
LPHR Executive Committee (2018-2019)
- Claire Jeffwitz (joined 2013)
- Natalie Sedacca (joined 2013)
- Laila Hamzi (joined 2013)
- Alicia Mendonca-Richards (joined 2013)
- Dearbhla Katharine Minogue (joined 2014)
- Aleisha Esfahani (joined 2014)
- Angelina Nicolaou (joined 2015)
- Emma Fullerton (joined 2017)
- Alamara Bettum (joined 2017)
- Shahd Hammouri (joined 2018)
- Rebecca Nguyen Van Thuy (joined 2019)
- Anastasia O’Brien (joined 2019)
- Sir Geoffrey Bindman QC
- Tessa Gregory
- Fiona McKay
- Nusrat Uddin
- Professor Bill Bowring
- Geraldine Isherwood
- Jocelyn Hurndall