On the eve of the House of Commons debate addressing the issue of Israel’s illegal settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory, LPHR publishes here our briefing entitled: “LPHR’s briefing on the human rights impact of illegal Israeli settlements and related third-state legal duties“.
Our briefing covers the following topics:
- the substantial human rights impact caused by illegal settlements, which includes severely impeding the Palestinian people from exercising their fundamental right to self-determination;
- the legal duties on all states, including the UK, that are engaged by illegal settlements;
- a legal examination of Security Council Resolution 2334 and its relevance to current and potential future UK policy and action in relation to illegal settlements;
- business and human rights considerations;
- Israel’s passing into legislation of their ‘regularisation bill’.
The parliamentary debate will take place tomorrow, Thursday 9 February 2017.